Monday, February 15, 2010

Black Goliath- I'm Not Sure I Get It.



See, here's the thing: Henry Pym started out as Ant Man and then figured out how to get big instead of small and became Giant Man. And then Hank retired and passed the role of Giant Man on to Dr. Bill Foster, who was Giant Man for a little while.

And then, for some reason, Bill thought it would be cooler to change his name to Black Goliath.

Now, I know that in the 1970's black folks were trying out the idea that "Black is beautiful" and embracing the term "black" which had been formerly eschewed as a slur. The PC term of the day had previously been "Negro" which is ludicrously out of fashion these days. So, anyway, embracing the term black was hip.

None of which has anything to do with getting big.

Which is, I guess, where "Goliath" comes in. I mean, everyone knows the name Goliath, right? The giant from the Old Testament story of King David...

Problem is, Goliath was a bad guy. And he lost.

So, for me, Black Goliath is a conceptual nightmare. The name says "Hey! Not that it really should matter but I happen to be black. And I'm a giant! No, I'm not a bad giant, like Goliath, the uncircumcised Philistine. No, I'm a superhero!"

I also have no idea why his belly is showing.

4 comments:

  1. Not that this makes any more sense, but Hank Pym used the name Goliath from 1966 to 1968. Clint Barton became the next Goliath for a few years after using the Pym particles to become a giant. Bill Foster was just carrying on the tradition, with a colorful adjective tacked on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the name Black Goliath was an attempt to tie into the whole blaxplotation genre of the late 60s / early 70s. Besides, The name Black Goliath does have a certain impact. Unfortunately that impact is somewhat undercut when you're wearing a costume that would look better on Power Girl. Hmmm. Maybe that name should have been Black Gay Goliath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob: Wow ! Way to steal my thunder! Seriously, though, still messed up.

    Blogorilla: LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete