Friday, January 15, 2010

Forget the Russians, It's the Gorillas You Have to Beat! Strange Adventures #64



Just as mankind is on the verge of launching its first artificial satellite, it is visited by unexpected guests, guests with a warning!

A large spacecraft (described as a "space station" lands outside an American rocket base. The scientists and guards are stunned as its occupants emerge and turn out to be gorillas (who look a lot more like chimps to me)! The gorillas explain that they were once Earthmen who ventured into space. Cosmic rays caused them to devolve, physically, into gorillas while their minds stayed intact. The Space gorillas warn the scientists to wait until a cure is found before venturing into space themselves.

However, two-fisted science-guy , Dr. Owens doesn't buy their story. Sneaking onboard the gorilla ship, Owens discovers that the visitors are aliens in gorilla suits (still look like chimps to me). Jumping one of the aliens, Owens dons a gorilla suit and forces the ship to crash-land. Later, after explaining everything to his peers, Owens is asked what made him suspicious. Owens explains that the aliens, unlike men or gorillas, never blinked.

7 comments:

  1. What a great ham-fisted story plot line; love it! And speaking of love.. Infantino.. wow. What a great cover, though very "busy" somehow just perfect; and the colors of pinkish and yellow work just right. Mucho gracias Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After just a couple of these gorilla postings, how can we not agree on the staggering superiority of 60's Marvel over 60's DC? I say that with full respect for the wonderful work by Infantino, Cardy, Kane, Kubert, etc., but editorially and scripting-wise?
    Neill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neill: "Superiority"? Are apples superior to oranges? Is red superior to blue?? Just pop over to The Silver Age and read about Fantastic Four #12.

    Also, I think all these stories came from the late 50's.

    Also also, I love 60's Marvel. It's not better than 60's DC, just different. The same way 60's Gold Key is different from either, or the way 60's CHarlton... well, okay they're a little weak.- look, I stopped having this argument when I was 15.
    best,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron, I did not say "superiority", I said "STAGGERING superiority". And you're right, this is the old argument of my adolescence as well--but looking back as a middle-aged geezer, I'm still struck by how much more convincing Marvel's approach to storytelling and subject matter was (until, I would say, the advent of Denny O'Neill--I loved his JLA way back when). Yep, I've seen the Silver Age blog (I originally got here from there) and, certainly, there's still a fair quotient of eyeroll-inducing silliness at Marvel, but at least it's still fun idiocy.
    P.S. your blog has the same superiority quotient, or I wouldn't bother commenting.
    Neill

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, there was nothing at DC that was quite like the visual pyrotechnics that Kirby and Ditko were throwing out there... but, I submit Aaron is correct... it's like comparing good beer with nice fitting winter gloves... both are needed to stay alive and sane in January Columbus,Ohio (I know, I used to live in Fort Wayne, IN) epecially during Ape-Ril in January!
    Apples and Oranges. I love em both..
    Unrelated to all this, to bad Post Cereal didn't add a King Kong "rip off" monster cereal to their stable to go along with Count Chocula and Frankenberry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron: I love this story concept! What an idea! Aliens disguising themselves as gorillas to invade earth, complete with wild story about being devolved earthmen. You would think they would simply disguise themselves as earthmen, though, wouldn't you? Anyway, cool post. Oh, I'm a DC man all the way. I got real sick of Lee's silly-ass soap operas. I mean, really, who gives a crap about Pee-wee Parker’s silly-ass dating problems and his lame Aunt Mae? If Marvel hadn't had John Buscema, they would have been Charlton. Yahoo, I’m 14 again! (peace out).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous said...
    After just a couple of these gorilla postings, how can we not agree on the staggering superiority of 60's Marvel over 60's DC? I say that with full respect for the wonderful work by Infantino, Cardy, Kane, Kubert, etc., but editorially and scripting-wise?
    Neill

    "We" certainly do not agree with this sweeping generalization from someone who sounds like one of your more typically supercilious Marvel fans who takes his comics far too seriously.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete